Originally from Calgary, I moved to Victoria in 2012 to escape perpetual winter, and started my Bachelors of Science in Biology at UVic. Four and a half years later, my brain was bursting with marine invertebrate, herpatology and bug knowledge! I spent a summer in Switzerland as a research assistant at the Center for Agriculture and Biosciences International (CABI), where I studied methods of natural pest control. I also had the opportunity to travel to Italy, France, Germany and Croatia with my newfound group of fellow biologists. Later in my degree I fostered a love of marine ecology and midnight forest walks through field trips to Bamfield Marine Science Center.

After graduation, I spent some time travelling, working and thinking critically on how I could develop my skills and passions into a rewarding career. I went to Thailand with a friend from Switzerland where we immersed ourselves in the local cuisine, customs and crystal clear water of tropical diving. I visited a close friend living in New York, surrounded by the bustle of a vibrant city tempered by the quiet of Central Park and many glorious museums.

I stay active through running, swimming, hiking and recently rollerblading. I love to cook and experiment with garlic (much to my partner’s chagrin), and have a multitude of house plants and outdoor herbs. Spending quality time with my partner, family and close friends is very important to me. As creative outlets, I like to knit, embroidery and make pottery!

I worked (and still do) as a lifeguard, swim instructor, deck supervisor, aquafit instructor and water safety instructor trainer (WSIT) at Crystal Pool and Fitness Center. Working as an adaptive and classic swim instructor taught me patience and flexibility in teaching people of all ages and abilities. As a lifeguard and deck supervisor, I learned confidence, resilience and how to keep a cool head under pressure. Teaching aquafit classes to groups of 30 or more pushed me out of my comfort zone to be confident in front of large groups. As I taught teens how to teach swim lessons themselves as a WSIT, I learned about an ideal age group. While teaching young children is rewarding, the maturity, hilarity and independence teens exhibited fit best with my personality.

Teaching wasn’t something I originally envisioned for myself. However, through the nature of my work in aquatics I had opportunities to expand my understanding on what teaching could be.  I could share my love of Biology and bond with teens all day! I am going to strive to be a compassionate, flexible and engaging teacher of science. I will endeavour to have meaningful connections with my students, to encourage them to learn about the world around them.